Monday, August 22, 2011

Gainsbourg: Vie Heroique (2010)

I was fairly disappointed by this, the third film in a hat-trick of musical biopics that I've watched over this weekend (do I know how to party while the Missus is out of town, or WHAT?). It follows the life, music, and astounding litany of amorous conquests of Monsieur Cabbage-Head Serge Gainsbourg. As lives and careers go, his was certainly an interesting one, well worth telling. But I didn't enjoy the surreal, excessively romanticized Baz Luhrman-esque style -- it just didn't work for me.

Eric Elmosnino was excellent as Gainsbourg -- he had the mannerisms and voice down nailed, and the physical resemblance was uncanny. Laetitia Casta was ravishing as Brigitte Bardot, and Lucy Gordon (who, sadly, committed suicide before the film was released) was great as Jane Birkin (her exaggeratedly english-accented french was exactly as I've heard it described. 

No comments:

Post a Comment