Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Fighter (2010) and The King's Speech (2010)

Recently watched, and enjoyed, these two films. For some reason, I wasn't particularly enthusiastic going into either of them: The Fighter didn't seem like it would be particularly uplifting, while The King's Speech just didn't seem like a story I would care about (would-be King heroically overcomes speech impediment and delivers a rousing speech --- on the eve of a war that will see the slaughter of millions of those born into less fortunate circumstances). But I was glad I made the effort and struggled through my early misgivings.

Not to stretch comparisons between two such unlikely cinematic bedfellows, but both films could also be characterized by the fact that they feature a pair of strong male leads. In The Fighter, Christian Bale once again turns in an amazing performance which would, for my money, not be out of place with de Nero in Raging Bull or Day-Lewis in My Left Foot. Alongside such virtuosic acting, Mark Wahlberg inevitably pales somewhat -- but is nevertheless excellent. In The King's Speech, Colin Firth puts in what is surely his strongest performance to date as the stammering King George, while Geoffrey Rush gives a typically "actor's actor" showing.

Bottom Line: worth seeing; two recent films that live up to the hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment