Saturday, February 27, 2010

Capitalism A Love Affair (2009)

I should have known better, but given that the subject of Michael Moore's latest "documentary film" is one relatively close to my heart, I thought it would at least be worth a look.

Wrong: I didn't last even to the halfway point (to be completely fair, the two glasses of prosecco consumed during dinner didn't help with this, but still...).

This film has only confirmed for me Michael Moore is a hack of the highest order (or lowest -- whichever level signifies "worst"). It is an appalling piece of self-satisfied, smug, hypocritical grand-standing that makes no attempt at any kind of balanced, honest or informed reporting.

It's not even worth going into details, but suffice it to say that he's up to his usual tricks of playing fast and loose with the facts as he cut-and-pastes events into a montage that best supports his pre-conceived thesis (nothing more than "capitalism is bad"). He flits from excruciatingly prolonged close-ups of families in tears at being evicted from their homes to heavily edited "interviews" with "fat cat" stereotypes whom he goads into saying something heartless-sounding (e.g. "would you be prepared to sack 10,000 people if that's what it took to save your company?" / "uh.. yes"/ "what about 20,000?" / "yes -- whatever it took". I mean, come on, what else could the guy say??). There's no attempt to examine how the "victims" have gotten to the point of eviction, but no doubt this wouldn't serve the simplistic case he's trying to make.

To labour the point, this is fundamentally bad, amateurish journalism. He's not going after the answers, he's fishing for juicy tidbits that portray things in a certain light, then splicing it all together -- feeling free to take some things completely out of context. The result is little more than fiction.

I wish I could say more, but as I say, I fell asleep after half an hour. But I saw enough to remind me once and for all to stay away from anything made by this idiot.

Stay away from this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment